Announcement from Neil-at-Bose November 24, 2007
Attention DJ’s using the L1 Model I system,
We recently identified an isolated issue that only affects DJ’s that are using Preset #58 (High Volume Pre Recorded Music) on the L1™ model I system.
It was discovered that L1 Model I power stands with a serial number less than 042829Z72550001AC did not accurately contain the advertised preset #58. This preset is specifically intended for DJ’s playing pre recorded music at higher volume levels. Instead it contained a flat EQ setting which is identical to selecting preset 00.
If you do not intend to use this preset than there is no need to be concerned with this message. All other system presets have been verified and their contents are accurate.
To immediately correct this situation we are making an updated L1™ model I Preset version 3.0 available for download on our online forum. Again as a reminder there is no need to update your system if you do not intend on using this preset.
We would like to apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused and take the opportunity to thank you for bringing this to our attention. Additionally we are excited that the “Just for DJ’s” forum is consistently among the most popular areas of our online community.
Thank you for your support. Original Announcement by Neil-at-Bose L1 Model I - Preset 3.0 Patch (DJ's only)
Clarification for L1® Classic Owners
And a note from MikeZ-at-Bose
- Here's the deal -
- The above update WILL work for Classic owners and will give you the entire 3.0 preset list, including Preset 58.
- However, this is an 'under the table' update - we can't have our phone team answering calls on it. The update follows the same well documented update process used on past Classic updates. It can be troublesome to update, that's why we have the T1 now.
- I would like to stress this update ONLY updates presets and not the firmware. It has NO change on the function of the system except for the presets. If you are not going to use the extra presets then there is no reason to go through the trouble of upgrading.
Burning the CD
These are some notes lightly adapted from the last time we had an update via CD. That was for the Presets 2.0 update.
The procedure is basically the same, although simpler because we have only one file to transfer from the download file to the CD to the Power Stand.
So assuming that you have followed the Presets 3.0 Upgrade Instructions and have downloaded the files and the documentation, you also need some software to burn the file to an audio track on a CD. People have reported that Nero or Windows Media Player are suitable for this.
From the Instructions included in the download;
- Using a CD-writing application installed on your CD-writing capable personal computer, burn the wav audio file onto a CD-R disc. If given the options, burn with the Finalize (or Disc-at-Once) option enabled. Turn off any normalize function that the software may offer.
From Discussions on the Bose® Pro Portable PA Community
Some random things to consider when upgrading your system by the download-burn CD method.
- Burn the downloaded file as a "audio" CD, not a "data" CD
- Make sure that your burn software has all processing disabled. Some software applies normalization. Check the options to make sure that this is OFF.
- When you burn the CD, I actually prefer to burn 3 tracks of the same file in a row. So, in other words, tracks 1, 2, and 3 would be the same file.
- On your DVD player you MUST TURN OFF ALL DSP PROCESSING like dynamic range compression, 3D effects, speaker size selection
- If you are using a portable DVD player with a volume control, make sure that the volume control is at MAX.
- On your DVD player, try BITSTREAM MODE first. If that doesn't work, we've seen PCM MODE work also.
- When flashing the PS1 using the DVD player, it's sometimes good to start with the DVD player at STOP. Turn the PS1 off, then back on. Next, press play on the DVD player to start the upgrade process. Be patient, it sometimes takes 10 seconds or so to start the blinking.
Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player 10 DOES WORK. You just have to turn off compression/normalization, which defaults to On.
Instructions if you have Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10.
- Open the folder containing the un-zipped WAV files, right-click on the L1_model_1_Presets_3.0_Patch.wav, and choose "Add to Burn List"
- Windows Media Player should appear. Select the "Burn" tab, and make sure only the one WAV file is listed on the left.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Click on the little red check-mark near the upper-right corner of the Media Player window (just above the CD drive selection box). Click on the "Quality" tab, and un-check the box labelled "Apply volume leveling to music when it is burned." Click OK.
- Insert a blank CD, and click the "Start Burn" button in Windows Media Player. Your update CD should be ready in a few seconds.
Nero should work just fine. It's my burn-application of choice. Make sure that you burn as an AUDIO CD not as a DATA CD. That may have been the problem. Simply select AUDIO CD and drag and drop into Nero. (This is for other owners with similar questions). It sounds like Windows Media Player worked fine for you though.
Quoting Dewey (Kyle was responding to this above)
- Downloaded the updates, burned to CD using Nero which is my standard drag and drop. CD's would not work. Finally used Windows Media Player (Version 10) burned new CD's and everything worked fine. Apparently Nero wouldn't or didn't convert the .wav files to MP3.
We don't have details yet, but as soon as we do - they will be published here.
Here is Mike's first mention of Presets 3.0 - August 16, 2007
There are 3 breeds of L1's in the field:
- L1 Classic. These are the L1's released in 2003 and sold until about 3/2007.
- L1 model I. Newer version of the Classic. Is RoHS compliant for release in Europe but functionally basically the same. Distinguishing features include orange labels on the back of the power stand and on the line arrays. Also many of the accessory connectors have been removed on the back panel. These units have Presets 3.0 with preset 58 on them. (MikeZ has since found that Preset 58 was not loaded in the Model I units. 
- L1 model II.
"58" - a discussion about Preset 58
and in another thread
"Preset's 3.0 will be a one time update, like Presets 2.0 was a couple of years ago." -- Presets 3.0
Colour Coded List
- Yellow = new
- Orange = removed since Presets 2.0
Presets 3.0 with Presets 2.0 and T1® Equivalents
|Version 3.0||Version 2.0||Category||Description|
|01||01||Vocal Mics||Handheld mics|
|02||02||Vocal Mics||Headworn mics|
|03||03||Vocal Mics||Hi Gain, bright|
|04||04||Vocal Mics||Hi Gain, normal|
|05||05||Vocal Mics||Audix OM-5|
|06||06||Vocal Mics||Audix OM-6|
|07||07||Vocal Mics||Beyer M88|
|08||08||Vocal Mics||Crown CM-310/CM-311|
|09||09||Vocal Mics||ElectroVoice N/D357|
|10||10||Vocal Mics||ElectroVoice N/D767|
|11||11||Vocal Mics||ElectroVoice N/D967|
|12||12||Vocal Mics||Neumann KMS105|
|13||13||Vocal Mics||Shure SM57|
|14||14||Vocal Mics||Shure SM58|
|15||15||Vocal Mics||Shure Beta 57A|
|16||16||Vocal Mics||Shure Beta 58A|
|17||17||Vocal Mics||Shure Beta 87A|
|18||18||Vocal Mics||Sennheiser e855|
|19||19||Vocal Mics||Sennheiser MD431-II|
|20||20||Vocal Mics||Sennheiser MD441|
|21||n/a||Audix Mics||Audix OM-2|
|22||n/a||Audix Mics||Audix OM-3|
|23||05||Audix Mics||Audix OM-5|
|24||n/a||Audix Mics||Audix VX-10|
|25||25||Electric Guitars||General direct|
|27||27||Electric Guitars||Miked amp w/SM57|
|28||28||Electric Guitars||Fender Stratocaster|
|29||29||Electric Guitars||Fender Telecaster|
|30||30||Electric Guitars||Gibson ES-335/ES-345|
|32||32||Electric Guitars||Gibson Les Paul|
|33||33||Electric Guitars||Gretsch C. Gent|
|34||34||Electric Guitars||Ibanez Artist|
|35||35||Electric Guitars||PRS Custom 22|
|36||n/a||Electric Guitars||Rickenbacker 360/12|
|37||n/a||Electric Guitars||Miked amp w/Sennheiser e609|
|38||n/a||Acoustic Guitars||Nylon string w/piezo|
|39||n/a||Acoustic Guitars||Nylon string w/condenser|
|40||40||Acoustic Guitars||Steel string w/piezo|
|41||41||Acoustic Guitars||Steel string w/dyn|
|42||42||Acoustic Guitars||Steel string w/condenser|
|43||43||Acoustic Guitars||Guild D25|
|45||45||Acoustic Guitars||Martin Backpack|
|46||46||Acoustic Guitars||Martin DC16|
|47||47||Acoustic Guitars||Martin D28|
|49||49||Acoustic Guitars||Taylor 810 with ES System|
|52||52||Keyboards||Hohner Clavinet D6|
|55||55||Special||Accordion w/Limex MP|
|56||56||Winds and Horns||Trumpet w/Pro35ax|
|57||57||DJ/Playback||Low volume music|
|58||n/a||DJ/Playback||High volume music|
|60||60||Basses||Upright 3/4 Bass with Fishman|
|61||61||Basses||Active bass 1|
|62||62||Basses||Active bass 2|
|63||63||Basses||Active bass 3|
|64||64||Basses||Fender Active Jazz|
|65||65||Basses||Fender '66 P-Bass|
|66||66||Basses||Fender '69 J-Bass|
|68||n/a||Basses||NS Design Bass|
|69||n/a||Basses||David Gage Realist|
|70||70||Percussion||Kick drum, general|
|71||71||Percussion||Kick drum w/Audix D6|
|72||72||Percussion||Kick drum w/AKG D112|
|73||73||Percussion||Kick drum w/Sennheiser 601|
|74||74||Percussion||Kick drum w/Shure Beta 52a|
|76||76||Percussion||Overhead w/SM57 differential|
|77||77||Percussion||Overhead w/condenser differential|
|78||n/a||Percussion||Hand percussion w/SM57|
|80||80||Utility||50Hz Highpass filter|
|81||81||Utility||80Hz Highpass filter|
|82||82||Utility||5kHz Lowpass filter|
|83||83||Utility||50Hz-5kHz Bandpass filter|
|84||84||Utility||50Hz-5kHz Bandpass filter|
|89||89||Taylor Guitars||TGS mahogany/cedar|
|90||n/a||Winds and Horns||Trumpet w/SM57|
|90||90||Taylor Guitars||Dreadnought fingered|
|91||n/a||Winds and Horns||Trombone w/SM57|
|91||91||Taylor Guitars||Dreadnought strummed|
|92||n/a||Winds and Horns||Soprano sax w/SM58|
|92||92||Taylor Guitars||Grand Audit fingered|
|93||n/a||Winds and Horns||Alto sax w/SM58|
|93||93||Taylor Guitars||Grand Audit strummed|
|94||n/a||Winds and Horns||Tenor sax w/SM58|
|94||94||Taylor Guitars||Grand Concert fingered|
|95||95||Taylor Guitars||Grand Concert strummed|
|96||96||Taylor Guitars||Jumbo fingered|
|97||97||Taylor Guitars||Jumbo strummed|
|n/a||n/a||Vocal Mics||Audix OM-2|
|n/a||n/a||Vocal Mics||Audix OM-3|
|n/a||n/a||Vocal Mics||Audix VX-10|
|n/a||n/a||Electric Guitars||Line6 Pod|
|n/a||n/a||Electric Guitars||General processor|
|n/a||n/a||Acoustic Guitars||Taylor T5|
|n/a||n/a||Acoustic Guitars||Taylor w/Fishman|
|n/a||n/a||Basses||David Gage Czech-Ease|
|n/a||n/a||Winds and Horns||Trombone w/RE20|
|n/a||n/a||DJ/Playback||Flat zEQ controls|
|n/a||n/a||Audix Mics||Audix OM-6|
|n/a||n/a||Audix Mics||Audix VX-5|
|n/a||n/a||Audix Mics||Audix SCX-25 bass|
|n/a||n/a||Audix Mics||Audix SCX-25 treble|
Download in PresetsT1V3.xls Excel Format
- MikeZ-at-Bose talks about [Preset 58 not loaded on Model Is http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/867107664/m/6831014954?r=3131008684#3131008684]